Free poetry month events at The Betsy Hotel
The Betsy Hotel on South Beach, which features a Writers’ Room, is hosting free events during April in honor of National Poetry Month and as part of the O,Miami Poetry Festival. Most events are at the hotel, located at 1440 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach but there are some at other locations. Some require advance RSVP.
Here’s the schedule:
- Tuesday, April 14, at 8:30 p.m.: Residency and Community Performance by Resident Artist Martine Syms of a commissioned piece based on Sam Cooke’s Live at the Harlem Square Club album about the history of Overtown. Gramps Bar, 176 NW 24 St., Wynwood.
- Sunday, April 19, at 3 p.m.: Veterans Poetry Showcase featuring a collective of local veterans sharing their experiences through a spoken word piece.
- Sunday, April 19, at 7 p.m.: Holocaust Commemoration Event themed “Who Will Dream You?” based on the poem by Jacob Glatstein featuring Cellist Jason Calloway and Soprano Rachael Calloway. RSVP required.
- Monday, April 20, at 9:30 a.m.: Salon on Art and Healing exploring the relationship between health and creative expressions, with Dr. Jeremy Nobel of Harvard University and Founder and President of the Foundation for Art and Healing. RSVP required.
- Wednesday, April 22, at 11 a.m.: High School Poetry Reading presented by poet/teacher Caridad Morro featuring poems by Miami-Dade County High School students to celebrate the release of the 2015 Orange Island Review. RSVP required.
- Saturday, April 25, at 10 a.m.: Residency and community event with author/professor/journalist Nathan Deuel leading “Write about Walking: A Workshop on a Walk Around Miami Beach.”
- Tuesday, April 28, at 2 p.m.: Poetry Paella with award-winning writer Gerald Stern, Anne Marie Macari and Major Jackson all reading from their works followed by a reception with paella, libations and birthday cake to celebrate the third anniversary of the Writer’s Room at The Betsy Hotel. RSVP required.